Write on Wednesday: The Stories a tree could tell

The stories a tree could tell

The Write on Wednesday spark: The stories a tree could tell.
Take a look at the above photo (by Story). Use it to inspire your Write on Wednesday post. Keep your post on the short side: up to 500 words OR a 5 minute stream of consciousness exercise. Link your finished piece to the list and begin popping by the other links in the list. Enjoy!

Pip slammed the kitchen door behind her and ran out into the garden. She was sick and tired of being the new girl in town, living in a new house, a new suburb, starting a new school. She was fed up and her Mother disapproving of her attempt to set the dinner table had been the final straw.

Pip stopped running when she arrived at her familiar resting point in the backyard:  The big cedar tree. It was a beauty, with its huge tree trunk, and branches that stretched past her garden, and onto the neighbour’s property.

Sitting at the base of the tree, Pip was unsure whether to laugh or cry, scream blue murder or roll her hands into a fist, and punch the ground beneath her. Being 12 was hard enough …and she felt that her Mother was underestimating how hard the move had been on her. She was trying to come to terms with her new life, but more often than not, she wished that things had not changed at all.

Pip relaxed, allowing the full weight of her body to be supported by the tree trunk. She stretched her legs and tilted her head skyward. The tree must have been at least 100 years old. She felt safe, as if the branches which sheltered her from the afternoon sun, were cocooning her from the world, with a big, leaf filled hug.

‘How many people have sat here just like me? ’she wondered.

It was a comforting thought, and she smiled,  sure that over the years, people just like her had sought solitude beneath its branches.

Pip could hear her Mother calling for her to come back inside. If she was honest, she did not want to move, but she had begun to feel guilty about running off.

‘I’ll be back soon’ Pip whispered as she hugged the tree trunk then turned in the direction of home.

1. claire
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 13:31:21

That was a great take on the prompt! I love the character of Pip, and I enjoyed her musings on the tree. Nice job!

2. stephanie
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 16:07:48

I love this! Pip sounds like an interesting character that I would love to know more about. The last line is great!!

• Catch Up With A Mate
      Jan 19, 2012 @ 21:59:49

Thanks for reading Stephanie….I might write more about this character…then again, I may not…I really just like writing short stories, ending them and then moving onto next weeks topic!!

3. Finding a skinnier me
    Jan 19, 2012 @ 19:15:35

I enjoyed reading about Pip, I would love to hear more, sounds like the beginning of a great short story or book.

4. Ink Paper Pen
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 04:12:58

Felt like the beginnings of a YA book. Poor Pip, being 12 IS difficult!

5. Janelle
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 10:35:15

Poor Pip. I think this is very realistic, I remember having special places to retreat to just like this when I was a teen. Lovely piece!

6. daphne
    Jan 21, 2012 @ 01:21:38

mate,
    what a great question… “How many people have sat here just like me?”… so simple, yet so full of answers.

daphne

7. Veronica @ Mixed Gems
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:01:18

Another brilliant short story!