Five Sentence Fiction:Memories

World Prompt: Memories

It was September 12th, 2001 and my friends and I were standing in the midday sun on a ferry wharf  in Naxos, the Greek Islands.

The three of us, not a care in the world, doing what many young Australian’s do as soon as they complete their education…a gap year of travel, ‘a right of passage’

As we waited for the boat to transport us onto our next island paradise I glanced at the cover of the newspaper held by a man in front of me.

The man was German, and whilst I could not make sense of the text, what I saw that day drained the colour from my sunburnt face.

Two towers, two very tall buildings on fire….an image of a plane…fire, smoke,  dust clouds…a image of a lone man, his face awash with panic , terror, confusion, disbelief.

1. Sarah Mac
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 08:19:20

I doubt that any of us will ever forget where we were on that day or in that moment when we heard/saw the news. 11 years on and the pictures in our mnds are as clear as they were then.

• Catch Up With A Mate
      Sep 11, 2012 @ 10:44:31

I agree Sarah. I was blissfully unaware of world events that 9.11.2001…no tv, no newspapers or internet whilst on the Greek Islands. You are right in saying you will never forget where we were on that day, that particular moment in time.
      Great to find you again on Five Sentence Fiction…Our paths used to cross on Write on Wednesday but I lost the ability to link stories that that site…I am loving 5 Sentences though!!

2. Trackback: Five Sentence Fiction: Memories « Alphabet Story
  3. alphabetstory
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 16:00:22

What a thoughtful story of that most memorable day. come check out my story on alphabetstory.

4. lisashambrook
    Sep 11, 2012 @ 21:13:24

Beautifully put, for today!

5. Andrew
    Sep 12, 2012 @ 00:46:37

Fabulous – you took me right back to 11 years ago. Well done!

6. Lillie McFerrin
    Sep 13, 2012 @ 21:30:40

An apt five sentences! I’ll never forget where I was that day. Lovely writing.

• Catch Up With A Mate
      Sep 13, 2012 @ 23:12:41

Thanks for stopping by Lillie…Yes, when I saw the prompt this week, and after the media kept reminding me of the 11 year anniversary of 9/11 it got me thinking about where I was on that day…Hence the story…

7. cherilynde
    Sep 16, 2012 @ 22:26:38

Wow. I think for most people 9/11 heralded some sort of end of innocence, but it seems the timing for you, and the way you heard the news–standing carefree in an idyllic island sunshine–must have made it seem all the more so for you.