Five Sentence Fiction: Awkward

Word prompt : Awkward

The shop owner looked directly at the women and said matter of factly, ‘ I’m not pregnant’

The women, money in hand ready to pay for the oh-so-cute jumpsuit for her friend’s newborn ,froze, her face flushed crimson red, and in an instant was on autopilot, spewing forth a diatribe of words, a train wreck of an apology.

‘ I am so sorry…I just assumed…You working here with all these baby clothes….Your baby bump?…You knew exactly what size I was looking for…I am so embarrassed…Do you have children?…No, don’t answer that… I am just so embarrassed…I can’t believe I said that…I’ve never done that before…I’m just so sorry’

The shop owner completed the sale, wrapped the gift, whilst attempting to alleviate the obvious distress of her first customer of the day ‘Don’t worry, I get that ALL the time’

The women, face still red, apologised for the tenth time and hurried out of the store, comforting herself with the fact that as she was interstate on holidays, she would NEVER have to face the ‘ I’m not pregnant’ lady again.

1. Sarah Mac
    Sep 16, 2012 @ 10:27:27

Oh god, totally cringeworthy, I really feel for her!

2. lisashambrook
    Sep 16, 2012 @ 18:50:23

‘a diatribe of words’, ‘a train wreck of an apology’, brilliant! Really enjoyed this!

3. cherilynde
    Sep 16, 2012 @ 22:05:15

Hah, awkward for sure!

4. Mike
    Sep 17, 2012 @ 08:33:54

Great five sentences. It really was a ” diatribe of words, a train wreck of an apology.”

5. lorrainefort
    Sep 17, 2012 @ 14:28:56

LOL! Actually had this happen TO me after my second child. Not only was I embarrassed to be asked (yup, I was THAT round!) but it immediately prompted me to lose the weight! Such a real scenario! LOL! Nicely done.

• Catch Up With A Mate
      Sep 17, 2012 @ 23:18:53

Thanks for stopping by….I to ( unfortunately!!) can relate to this scenario….I was the girl who uttered the ‘ diatribe of words, train wreck of an apology’…it was a mortifying experience…probably the reason by story is striking a cord with readers…it seems all to real!!

6. Lillie McFerrin
    Sep 19, 2012 @ 03:22:22

Oh man, the worst awkward moment in history. It’s the one thing you never ever ask, even if you know she’s pregnant, lol. Love this!!