Five Sentence Fiction: Devotion

This piece was written in response to the murder of Jill Meagher, which occurred in Melbourne, Australia, on the 22nd September, 2012.

This case has had such a huge media presence in Australia….it has been hard not to be touched by such a tragedy.

The case has affected me on many levels, prompting me to think, to question…most importantly to act, to live each day to the fullest, taking nothing for granted.

It has also prompted me to write….Five Sentence – Devotion

They say a mother’s love for their child is unwavering, constant, infinite.

But how could she continue to love a child that had committed such a crime, taken the life of another?

Since news of his arrest, there had been a constant flow of tears, her heart had broken, and continued to break every time there was mention of his name on evening news, the radio broadcasts, the daily papers.

But today the tears had stopped, it had taken 11 days…. she could cry no more for the boy who had once shown so much promise, once brought so much joy.

And it was then that she knew with certainty that a mother’s love for their child could be retracted, withdrawn, removed.

1. kristinapui
    Oct 01, 2012 @ 03:24:52

Have heard a lot about the case over here in New Zealand, truly tragic stuff. Beautiful piece of writing.

2. Sandra
    Oct 01, 2012 @ 06:39:33

Quite a different take on the prompt – effectively done. Good one.

3. lisashambrook
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 11:12:53

Not heard of the case, but it brings up big ethical questions doesn’t it? Very well written and thought provoking, just how far can love and devotion last?

• Catch Up With A Mate
      Oct 03, 2012 @ 04:05:37

Thanks Lisa..The case has dominated the media in Australia, and it raised questions on so many levels. It left me feeling really sad each time I heard it in the news…and writing helps to make sense of this often crazy place we live in.

4. Andrew
    Oct 03, 2012 @ 18:27:51

Quite honestly, the last sentence really shocked me. Nicely written, and I do so hope you’re wrong…

5. injaynesworld
    Oct 03, 2012 @ 22:56:24

I don’t know of the case, but you certainly do pose an interesting question. I’ve often wondered how the mothers of those who kill feel about those children. What a horrific thing to experience and an exacting test of devotion.

6. Josie Two Shoes
    Oct 04, 2012 @ 18:01:00

Like Jayne above, I have thought about what it must be like to be the mother of a child who commits a terrible crime such as this. I think that love remains, but certainly with a broken heart, and belief in your child’s goodness that has been shattered like glass. One can love while still saying, “I no longer know you”, surely in such circumstances something has gone very, very wrong.

7. alphabetstory
    Oct 10, 2012 @ 00:39:07

Sadly the families are left with so much pain……you arote touchingly about it.