Five Sentence Fiction : Business

Word Prompt: Business

All she had done was ask a simple question ‘ How was your day at school?’

‘Its none of your business!’ came the response, a bedroom door was slammed and just like that her daughter was lost to her for the evening.

The shift in age from twelve to thirteen had heralded a change in behaviour….unexplained angst, frustration , tears and tantrums…Why had she naively thought that her child would not bestow upon the family unit the same tumultuous teenage behaviour she had gifted her own parents all those years ago?

She smiled and poured herself a second cup of ‘ Tranquility’ herbal tea.

In seven years, seven long years, the word ‘ teen’ would no longer be associated with her daughter’s age, she would be 20…Between now and then she doubted that ‘ Tranquility’ herbal tea was going to cut it…Her new drink of choice would have to be vodka!

1. JazzBumpa
    Nov 18, 2012 @ 03:09:53

Pretty realistic.

Typo in the last sentence. S/B her NEW drink.

One of my college profs used o say booze was the only answer.
    Still, the question remained unspecified.

Cheers!
    JzB

2. K R Smith
    Nov 18, 2012 @ 15:30:03

I’ve had that tea, and no, it isn’t enough. Nice story!

3. lisashambrook
    Nov 19, 2012 @ 23:11:20

Ha ha, my youngest daughter’s just turned 13…your words ring true! My oldest is 19…

4. Sharry Miller
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 18:16:25

Yep, I have an 11 yo daughter. I almost wrote an identical story for this prompt. I’m glad I went a different way – you captured it perfectly.

5. Mark K
    Nov 22, 2012 @ 15:33:26

Sometimes friends ask me if I regret not having children – your piece is exactly why I smile and say, ‘Don’t want them.’ Thoughtful piece well written.

6. josie2shoes
    Nov 23, 2012 @ 03:44:09

I’ve had the tea… and the teenager… and no, it was not nearly strong enough. It was often a question of which one of us would kill the other first. But now, in her 30’s, we are the very best and closest of friends. Life has a way of bringing things around. 🙂